Inca Jungle Trek to Machu Picchu 4 days
Inca Jungle Trail to Machu Picchu 4 Days
The Inca Jungle Trek is the only trip that takes you to Machu Picchu on an exciting 4-day, 3-night adventure, where you will experience an unparalleled blend of adrenaline and culture. Our trip combines biking, rafting, zip-lining and hiking, offering you a unique way to explore the beauty and history of the Inca Jungle.
Discover everything from hidden Inca ruins to lush coffee and coca plantations on this journey, which will take you through natural wonders and cultural treasures. Relax in the natural hot springs of Colcamayo, a well-deserved rest after a day full of adventure.
At Sap Adventures, we prioritize your safety and satisfaction. Our expert guides are dedicated to providing an exceptional experience, ensuring that your trip is extraordinary in every way.
The biking experience is designed for all levels, with full suspension bikes and full safety equipment, including helmets, elbow pads, knee pads and armor. A support vehicle follows close behind, allowing you to enjoy the adventure without worry.
To ensure that you are physically prepared for this unique experience, follow our training suggestions included in the pre-departure information. This will ensure that you are ready to enjoy your Inca Jungle Trail adventure to the fullest.
The Inca Jungle Trail to Machu Picchu is more than a journey; it is a memory you will treasure forever, perfect for adventurers and history buffs alike. Start planning your unforgettable adventure with us and let us make your dream come true.
Quick view of the activity
Here are some of the highlights and best aspects of the Inca Jungle Trek:
- Biking: Experience the thrill of mountain biking descending from Abra Malaga (4,316 meters above sea level) to the Amazon region (1,847 meters above sea level). This route offers you the opportunity to admire the diversity of landscapes and unique ecosystems of the region. With the guidance of our experts, you will enjoy a safe and memorable ride, perfect for cyclists of all levels.
- River Rafting: Feel the thrill at its best with our river rafting in Santa Maria. Navigate class 3.5 rapids under the supervision of our experienced team, who ensure both your safety and your enjoyment in this vibrant adventure.
- Ziplining: Immerse yourself in a ziplining experience in Santa Teresa, flying over the lush jungle canopy. Be amazed by the breathtaking scenery as our trained staff guides you through this thrilling activity.
- Hiking Inca Trail: Finally, hike a section of the Original Inca Trail. This unique experience will connect you with the rich history and extraordinary engineering of the Inca civilization, allowing you to literally follow in the footsteps of this ancient empire.
- Machu Picchu: Discover the mysteries of Machu Picchu with a guided exploration by our experts. Learn about the history and importance of this iconic World Heritage site, enriching your visit with in-depth knowledge and fascinating details.
- Accommodation: Sap Adventures has Ecoterra-lodge that has been meticulously designed to offer an atmosphere of rustic elegance, exclusive for the members of this tour with comfortable rooms, comfortable areas that invite you to relax.
- Lodging: Sap Adventures has the Ecoterra-lodge that has been meticulously designed to offer an atmosphere of rustic elegance, exclusive for the members of this tour with comfortable rooms, wifi, hot water, private bathrooms being the only ones in the area with these services.
This trek is an excellent choice for those looking for a more adventurous and diverse route to Machu Picchu, offering a unique and memorable way to explore the Andean region.
Why should you do the Inca Jungle Trek 4 days with us?
- In the small details lies greatness; every subtle gesture makes a significant difference in your journey.
- Our passengers spend the night in Andean cabins.
- Our initial campsite is located in the vicinity of Salkantay Mountain, offering you the opportunity to witness a breathtaking sunset over this majestic peak.
- We are an efficient, punctual and reliable travel company, offering a warm welcome to both individuals and groups. Feel free to check our reviews on TripAdvisor.
- At Sap Adventures, our guides, drivers, riders and cooks are compensated immediately upon completion of their tasks.
We do not combine our 4-day Salkantay Trek groups with other companies.
- Our small groups are limited to a maximum of 2 to 10 participants, a feature that distinguishes us from other tour operators that cater to larger groups.
- Sap Adventures is a 100% locally owned travel company and is fully licensed as a Salkantay Trek operator.
- Our tour guides pride themselves on staying current and actively participate in an extensive continuing professional development program. We are passionate about showing you the fascinating and incredible Salkantay Trek.
Book now and complete the balance upon arrival in Cusco.
Daily departures, make your reservation
Inca Jungle Trek 4 Days itinerary
Day 1 Cusco – Abra Malaga – Biking – Rafting – Santa Maria – Eco Terra Lodge
The Inca Jungle Trail to Machu Picchu 4 days: begins with a hotel pickup at 6:00 am, followed by a scenic three-hour drive through the breathtaking Sacred Valley of the Incas. As we reach Abra Malaga, the highest point of the trip at 4,316m, we will gear up and receive a briefing from our experienced guide. We’ll then embark on a thrilling 3-hour downhill biking journey through the Andes, surrounded by snow-capped mountains and tropical forests. A support vehicle will be available for those who need a break. We’ll end the day at Eco Terra Lodge Santa Maria for a delicious lunch, optional river rafting, dinner, and restful sleep.
The adrenaline-packed biking adventure takes us from Abra Malaga to Huamanmarka, covering a distance of less than 55km and descending from 4,316m to 2,130m. The scenic route offers breathtaking views of the changing landscape, from snowy peaks to lush tropical forests. At Eco Terra Lodge Santa Maria, we’ll enjoy a tasty lunch and have the opportunity to go river rafting on the Vilcanota River, offering a thrilling level III and IV experience. Afterward, we’ll return to the lodge for a delicious dinner and a well-deserved rest, preparing us for the exciting activities that await us the next day.
- Transportation from Cusco – Abra Malaga: 3.5 hours by private bus.
- Bicycle: – 2h – 3 h.
- Bicycle ride: 55 km – 34 m.
- Rafting: 2 hours
- Meals: Lunch and Dinner.
- Lodging: Lodge
- Difficulty: medium
- Guaranteed Adventure
- Maximum altitude: 4316 m – 14160 ft.
- Minimum altitude: – 1200 m – 3937 ft.
Day 2 Santa Maria – Inca Trail – Zip Line – Hot Springs – Santa Teresa.
Embark on a 7-hour trek through the vibrant rainforest, starting with a 45-minute hike along the car route before joining the well-preserved Inca trail. This trail, the only one in good condition among the various Inca trails, once connected Machu Picchu with the final Inca capital, Vilcabamba. Immerse yourself in the lush surroundings, encountering exotic fruits, diverse birdlife, and orchids, while enjoying breathtaking views of the Urubamba valley from the mountain’s summit. Descend for 2.5 hours to Qellomayo village for a satisfying lunch break.
Afterward, take a break in hammocks, then continue the trek for another 3 hours, passing through farms, waterfalls, and rivers (including a cable car crossing). By late afternoon, arrive at the Santa Teresa hot water springs, known as Cocalmayo, offering crystal-clear pools with different temperatures. Relax in this idyllic setting surrounded by the river and starry skies. Following the hot springs experience, a 40-minute walk (or optional bus ride) leads to Santa Teresa town, where a comfortable hotel awaits. Enjoy dinner and socialize with fellow group members at one of the downtown bars.
- Walking: 7 hours
- Hiking distance: (15 km / 9.3 mi)
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch / Dinner
- Lodging: Lodge (2, maximum 3 people per room)
- Adventure Guaranteed
- Starting altitude: – 1200 m / 3,937 ft
- Campsite altitude: – 1500 m – 4921 ft
- Difficulty: Moderate
Day 3: Santa Teresa – Ziplinng – Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
On the third day, adventurers can enjoy a thrilling two-hour zip-lining experience. After breakfast, we’ll visit the Machu Picchu National Park and have lunch before trekking for three hours along the train track to reach Aguas Calientes town by 5 pm, concluding the Inca Jungle Trek. The next day, we’ll ascend early morning to Machu Picchu, the majestic mountain overlooking Aguas Calientes, for the ultimate reward of our three-day journey.
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch – Dinner
- Walking Time: 3 hours
- Distance of the hike: 11 km – 60km m
- Lodging: Lodge
- Adventure: Guaranteed
- Difficulty: Moderate Moderate
- Starting altitude: 1,800 m – 5,906 ft.
- Altitude of Aguas Calientes: – 1900 m – 5902 ft
Day 4: Machu Picchu – Cusco
The highly anticipated day arrives: Machu Picchu. Wake up at 4:00 am, grab your packed breakfast, and hike for about 30 minutes to Puente “Ruinas.” After passing the first checkpoint, climb the stairs for an hour to reach the main gate at 6:00 am. Witness the sunrise and capture stunning photos. Your guide will then lead a 2-hour tour of the main sectors, providing insights into the history and culture of the Inca Empire.
After the guided tour, you’ll have free time to relax and explore at your own pace. If you’ve arranged a Huayna Picchu excursion, your guide will direct you to the starting point. The round trip hike to Huayna Picchu takes about 2 hours and must be booked in advance at a cost of $20 per person.
OPTION 1: RETURNING TO CUSCO BY TRAIN
For a scenic journey back to Cusco and more time to explore Machu Picchu, taking the train is recommended. Especially if you plan to hike Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, which can take several hours. Be at the Aguas Calientes train station by 4:22 PM to catch the train, arriving in Cusco around 8:30 PM. Alternatively, take a later train at 6:20 PM, reaching Ollantaytambo in 1 hour and 45 minutes. From there, a 2-hour car ride will bring you to Cusco, arriving around 10:30 PM.
OPTION 2: RETURNING TO CUSCO BY CAR
Returning to Cusco by car is a more budget-friendly option but allows less time for exploring Machu Picchu. If you plan to hike Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, time may be limited. To choose this option, leave Machu Picchu by midday, walk for 3 hours to Hidroelectrica, and meet the car at 3:00 PM. For those planning these hikes, it’s recommended to stay an extra night in Aguas Calientes and return to Cusco by car on the 5th day for a fulfilling experience.
Inca Jungle trek Video
Here is our full 4 days Inca Jungle to Machu Picchu video, with unseen footage!