Palcoyo Mountain - day hike
Quick view of the activity
Embark on an awe-inspiring journey to Palcoyo Mountain on our 1-day tour. Marvel at the vibrant, multi-hued landscapes of the Palcoyo Rainbow Mountain and experience the breathtaking beauty of the Andes. Join us for a day of adventure and exploration in this natural wonderland.
Here are the highlights of visiting Palcoyo Mountain:
- Seven-Color Landscape: Palcoyo Mountain is celebrated for its unique and striking geological formations. Like Rainbow Mountain, it showcases a range of vibrant colors, creating a captivating natural spectacle. The mountain’s slopes are adorned with hues that include red, pink, green, and yellow, offering a more accessible alternative to the challenging Rainbow Mountain trek.
- Scenic Drive: The journey to Palcoyo Mountain often includes a scenic drive through the picturesque landscapes of the Andes, providing ample opportunities for photography and enjoying the region’s natural beauty.
- Moderate Hike: Unlike Rainbow Mountain, the hike to Palcoyo Mountain is considered relatively moderate, making it suitable for a wider range of visitors. The trail is less strenuous, making it accessible to those seeking a colorful adventure without the demanding ascent.
- Stunning Views: From the viewpoint at the top of Palcoyo Mountain, you’ll be treated to breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding Andean peaks, including the Ausangate Mountain. These views offer a memorable backdrop for photographs and a chance to appreciate the rugged beauty of the highlands.
- Local Communities: Similar to Rainbow Mountain, the Palcoyo region is inhabited by Quechua communities. Interactions with the local people and learning about their culture provide cultural depth to your visit.
- Photography Opportunities: The varied colors and landscapes of Palcoyo Mountain make it a photographer’s dream. You’ll have numerous chances to capture the stunning natural beauty of this remarkable destination.
- Alternative to Rainbow Mountain: For visitors who prefer a less strenuous hike but still want to experience the beauty of a colorful mountain, Palcoyo offers a fantastic alternative to the more challenging Rainbow Mountain trek.
USD35.00 per person
Book now and complete the balance upon arrival in Cusco.
Check Availability and Book
Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Itinerary
Cusco – Palccoyo – Cusco
Embark on an early adventure, commencing with a 5:00 am hotel pickup as we journey toward the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain trailhead. Our private transport carries us south of Cusco, offering a scenic 4-hour drive, where a nourishing breakfast awaits.
En route, we’re treated to the stunning Andes mountains, verdant valleys, and local farmers tending to their fields, with herds of alpacas and llamas grazing nearby. With a dash of luck, we might even pause to observe vicuñas in their natural, untamed habitat. Upon reaching Apacheta, we embark on a hike toward Palcoyo Mountain.
Just 10 minutes into the hike, we reach the first viewpoint, affording breathtaking vistas of the initial Rainbow Mountain. Here, we capture photographs and hydrate. Another brief 10-minute walk leads us to the second viewpoint, where we photograph the second mountain. An additional 10-minute ascent takes us to the third viewpoint, where the spectacular third mountain unfolds before our eyes. This viewpoint offers the iconic postcard-perfect image of Palcoyo.
After relishing the splendor of these vibrant mountains, we trace our steps back to the trailhead. Our journey continues with a 2-hour van ride to Ttio town, where a delightful lunch awaits in a local household, expertly crafted by our chef. Following our scrumptious meal, we embark on a 1.5-hour drive back to Cusco, with an estimated hotel drop-off time of 5:00 pm.
Stone Forest (Optional)
For those feeling energized at the third viewpoint, an additional 10-minute hike takes us to the Stone Forest. Here, captivating rock formations await, offering panoramic views from the summit. The trail features switchbacks and steep inclines, but the reward is unparalleled. Gaze upon Ausangate Mountain in the distance, along with all three Rainbow Mountains. A unique aspect of this climb is the loop trail for the return journey, eliminating the need to backtrack.
- Fluent English-speaking guide, accompanied by an assistant guide for larger groups.
- Comprehensive first aid kit, complete with oxygen supply.
- Breakfast and lunch provisions.
- Trail snacks for sustenance during the trek.
- Exclusive transportation to and from your Cusco hotel.
- Inclusive entrance fees for Palcoyo Mountain.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off services.
- Pre-trek briefing conducted the evening before the hike, covering the itinerary, introductions to your guide(s), and addressing any inquiries.
- Tips for the staff
What to bring to Palcoyo Mountain Trek
- A minimum of 1.5 liters of water per individual.
- Sturdy, water-resistant hiking boots.
- Insulating apparel (thermal undergarments, fleece, beanie, gloves, and warm socks).
- Waterproof gear (such as a poncho).
- Comfortable clothing made from synthetic or cotton materials (like socks, pants, shorts, and t-shirts).
- Sunhat and protective sunglasses.
- Sunscreen to shield against UV rays.
- Nalgene-style water containers.
- Essential medical supplies.
- Trekking poles for added stability.
- Personal belongings and necessities.