Machu Picchu and Rainbow Mountain tour - 2 Day
Quick view of the activity
Experience the best of Peru’s natural and historical treasures with our Machu Picchu and Rainbow Mountain tour. Immerse yourself in the ancient Inca wonders of Machu Picchu, explore its hidden secrets, and witness the breathtaking beauty of Rainbow Mountain’s vibrant landscapes. This all-in-one adventure combines history, culture, and nature in a single journey, guided by experts who will make your visit truly unforgettable. Discover the heart of the Andes with this once-in-a-lifetime tour.
Machu Picchu Highlights:
- Ancient Inca Citadel: Explore the awe-inspiring ruins of Machu Picchu, one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world. This Inca citadel offers a window into the past and is a testament to the Inca’s advanced engineering and architectural skills.
- Historical Significance: Learn about the history, culture, and mysteries of Machu Picchu with expert guides who provide insights into its construction and purpose.
- Sun Gate Hike: Embark on a hike to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku), a vantage point that offers breathtaking panoramic views of Machu Picchu and the surrounding mountains.
- Cultural Immersion: Discover the rich heritage of the Inca civilization and its enduring influence on the Andean region.
- Scenic Train Ride: Enjoy a scenic train journey to and from Machu Picchu, passing through picturesque landscapes of the Sacred Valley.
Rainbow Mountain Highlights:
- Spectacular Colors: Marvel at the vivid and unique colors of Rainbow Mountain, a geological wonder with slopes adorned in shades of red, pink, green, and yellow.
- High-Altitude Adventure: Journey to Rainbow Mountain involves ascending to over 5,000 meters (16,404 feet) above sea level, providing an adventure at high altitudes.
- Hiking Adventure: The trek to Rainbow Mountain offers a moderate to challenging hike through stunning Andean landscapes, including glacial valleys and highland meadows.
- Cultural Encounters: Interact with indigenous Quechua communities in the area, gaining insight into their traditions and way of life.
- Photography Opportunities: The vibrant colors and dramatic scenery make Rainbow Mountain a paradise for photographers, while the backdrop of the Andes provides breathtaking backdrops for your photos.
- Off-the-Beaten-Path: Experience the enchantment of Rainbow Mountain, a destination that was relatively undiscovered until recent years, offering a secluded and authentic experience.
- Local Culture: Learn about the spiritual and cultural significance of Rainbow Mountain from local guides and the indigenous communities in the region.
USD420.00 per person
Book now and complete the balance upon arrival in Cusco.
Check Availability and Book
Machu Picchu and Rainbow Mountain Itinerary
Day 1: Cusco – Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Prepare for an early start to explore the enchanting Machu Picchu, strategically timed to avoid crowds. A brief 25-minute bus ride transports you to the city’s entrance, where the rising sun bathes this wonder in a golden glow.
Immerse yourself in the site’s magic and breathtaking vistas as you embark on a two-hour guided tour of its key attractions. If you possess an additional ticket, consider a hike up the impressive Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain for panoramic vistas.
Afterward, return to Aguas Calientes, where you can choose your lunch spot and enjoy leisurely exploration. Catch the evening train to Ollantaytambo, ensuring you arrive at the station 30 minutes early. Finally, a transfer will bring you back to your Cusco hotel.
Day 2: Cusco – Rainbow Mountain – Cusco
On the last day, we start at 4:00 am, taking a 3-hour journey to the Southern Valley in our private transport. The hike begins at 4,630 m (15,190 ft). Along the way, picturesque Andean towns, Inca-era agricultural platforms, and lush valleys offer scenic views. Llamas and alpacas entertain as you enjoy a continental breakfast.
We continue to the hike’s starting point, descending along a stream amidst the Andean mountains. Ascending rewards with views of the towering Ausangate glacier (6,372 m / 20,905 ft), the region’s tallest.
You’ll witness the significance of this mountain to local Andean communities, known for preserving their textile art and ancestral traditions. Your guide can share insights and teach you Quechua, the Inca language. After 1.5 hours, we reach the Rainbow Mountain (5,100 m / 16,732 ft).
At the summit, soak in the unique beauty and witness a natural spectacle found only in Peru and China. Explore the surroundings, learn about its origin, and capture memories. A 30-minute to 1-hour break follows, depending on your pace and weather conditions.
The descent takes 45 minutes to an hour. We then drive to Cusipata for lunch before returning to Cusco. Around 5:00 pm, we drop you off at your hotel for a relaxing evenin
Machu Picchu inclusions
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Train ticket
- Round trip transportation
- Professional guide English – Spanish
- Guide in Machu Picchu
Rainbow Mountain Hike Includes
- 1 breakfast and 1 lunch
- Hotel pick up
- Round trip transportation
- Professional guide English – Spanish
Machu Picchu Not Included
Rainbow Mountain Hike not Included
- Entrance to Rainbow Mountain
What to bring to Machu Picchu and the Rainbow Mountain tour?
- Valid passport
- Extra money (soles recommended)
- Personal medication
- Bottle of water
- Sun block lotion
- Insect repellent
- Personal care products
- Hiking boots or hiking shoes (preferably waterproof)
- Light footwear or sandals
- Trekking pants
- Trekking socks
- Long sleeve T-shirts
- Hiking poles
Frequent Asked Question
Can you do Rainbow Mountain and Machu Picchu?
Yes it is possible to do the tour to the Rainbow Mountain and Machu Picchu and the essential thing is to adapt to the altitude of Cusco.
Should I go to Rainbow Mountain before or after Machu Picchu?
It is advisable to visit Machu Picchu first as it is at a much lower altitude than even Cusco.
How much is the entrance fee to Rainbow Mountain?
the entrance to the rainbow mountain has the cost of :
- Peruvians: 15 soles
- Foreigners: 25 soles
Is Rainbow Mountain harder than the Inca Trail?
Relatively no, since the trek to Rainbow Mountain only takes 1 day, while the Inca Trail takes many more.
How much does it cost to hike Rainbow Mountain Peru?
A tour to Rainbow Mountain costs around 35 US dollars + entrance fee for a total of 40 dollars.
Can you hike Rainbow Mountain on your own?
Yes you can go alone but it is not recommended, since doing it on your own would be much more expensive than doing it with a tour, besides the security.