Things to do in Sacred Valley Peru
The Sacred Valley of Peru is a stunning destination with a rich history and fascinating culture. Located in the Andes Mountains, this region is home to many Inca ruins, traditional markets, and beautiful landscapes. Here are some of the best places to visit in the sacred valley:
- Visit Machu Picchu: Machu Picchu is the most famous attraction in the Sacred Valley and one of the most iconic destinations in the world. This ancient Inca city is located high in the mountains and offers incredible views of the surrounding landscape.
- Explore Ollantaytambo: Ollantaytambo is a well-preserved Inca town with narrow cobblestone streets and impressive stone architecture. This site was once an important religious and administrative center for the Inca Empire.
- See the salt pans of Maras: The Salineras de Maras is a series of salt pans that have been used for hundreds of years. This site offers a unique opportunity to see how salt is harvested in a traditional way.
- Hike to the ruins of Pisac: Pisac is an Inca ruin that is located high in the mountains above the town of Pisac. The hike to the ruins is steep but offers incredible views of the surrounding landscape.
- Visit the market in Pisac: The market in Pisac is a colorful and vibrant place where you can find traditional Peruvian crafts, textiles, and foods.
- Soak in the hot springs of Lares: The town of Lares is home to several natural hot springs that are a great place to relax after a long day of exploring.
- See the terraces of Moray: The terraces of Moray are a series of circular terraces that were used by the Inca for agricultural experiments. This site offers a fascinating glimpse into the innovative agricultural practices of the Inca.
- Learn about traditional weaving: The Sacred Valley is known for its vibrant textiles, and many communities still practice traditional weaving techniques. You can visit a local weaving cooperative to learn about the process and see beautiful textiles being made.
- Take a cooking class: Peruvian cuisine is renowned around the world, and the Sacred Valley is a great place to learn about traditional dishes like ceviche, ají de gallina, and lomo saltado.
- Attend a local festival: The towns in the Sacred Valley have many colorful and vibrant festivals throughout the year, which are a great way to experience the local culture and traditions.
Overall, the Sacred Valley of Peru is a rich and diverse destination with many incredible sights and experiences to explore. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or outdoor adventure, there’s something for everyone in the Sacred Valley.