It is not recommended to visit Rainbow Mountain from Aguas Calientes in a full-day trip as it involves a lot of travel time. However, if you still want to do it, here is a sample itinerary:
- Meet your guide in Aguas Calientes for an early morning departure to Ollantaytambo by train.
- Make sure you have packed enough water, snacks, and sunscreen for the hike.
- Arrive in Ollantaytambo and board a private taxi to Chillca village, where the hike to Rainbow Mountain starts.
- The drive from Ollantaytambo to Chillca takes approximately 3-4 hours.
- Start the hike to Rainbow Mountain, which takes around 3-4 hours each way.
- During the hike, you’ll pass through beautiful Andean landscapes, small villages, and herds of alpacas and llamas.
- Take breaks as needed to rest and enjoy the breathtaking views.
- Finally, arrive at Rainbow Mountain and enjoy the stunning panoramic views of the multi-colored mountain range.
- Take your time to soak in the beauty of the natural landscape and take plenty of pictures.
- Enjoy your packed lunch while taking in the views.
- Start the descent back to Chillca village, which takes around 2-3 hours.
- Take your time and enjoy the views during the descent.
- Return to Chillca village and board the private transportation back to Ollantaytambo.
- Take the evening train from Ollantaytambo back to Aguas Calientes.
- Arrive in Aguas Calientes and end the tour.
This itinerary involves a lot of travel time, which means you will be spending most of the day on the road. It is advisable to plan for at least 2-3 days in the region and visit Rainbow Mountain as part of a multi-day tour. Also, make sure you are physically fit and well-prepared for the hike, as it is quite strenuous.