Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu train
how to get there?
The train from the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu is one of the most scenic train rides in the world. It offers breathtaking views of the Andes Mountains and the Urubamba River, as well as access to one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world. Here’s everything you need to know about the train journey from the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu.
- Train Stations: The train journey to Machu Picchu starts from either Ollantaytambo or Urubamba train station, depending on which train service you choose. Ollantaytambo is the more popular option, as it is closer to Machu Picchu and offers more frequent trains.
- Train Services: There are two train services that run from the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu: PeruRail and Inca Rail. Both companies offer a range of train classes, from budget-friendly to luxury. The train journey takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on which train service you choose.
- Scenic Route: The train journey from the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu is a scenic route that passes through the Andes Mountains and the Urubamba River. The train travels through lush valleys and canyons, offering stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Arrival in Aguas Calientes: The train journey ends in the town of Aguas Calientes, which is the gateway to Machu Picchu. From here, you can either take a bus or hike up to the Machu Picchu citadel.
- Machu Picchu Entrance: The train journey does not include entrance to Machu Picchu. You will need to purchase a separate ticket to enter the site. It is recommended that you purchase your Machu Picchu tickets in advance, as they can sell out quickly during peak season.
- Luggage Restrictions: There are luggage restrictions on the train journey to Machu Picchu. Passengers are allowed to bring one carry-on bag that weighs no more than 5 kg and measures no more than 157 cm (length + width + height). Larger bags must be checked in at the station.
- Weather Considerations: The weather in the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu can be unpredictable, so it is recommended that you bring layers and rain gear. The train journey can also be affected by weather conditions, so it is important to check the train schedules and conditions before you go.
Overall, the train journey from the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu is an unforgettable experience that offers stunning views of the Andes Mountains and the Urubamba River. It is a convenient and comfortable way to reach the Machu Picchu citadel, and a highlight of any trip to Peru.